Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Modeling Scam's

Avoiding Scam's
By Samantha Tribble
Scams. They are everywhere! They are an especially large part of the modeling world. Most new models will encounter at least a handful. I know, starting out, I sure did. But, I quickly learned the signs of a con and have become able to ward them off!
Several modeling sites, such as Model Mayhem (a site for networking between models, photographers, editors, etc.), even has a pop-up when searching for castings that tells you the basics to avoid scams:

                                                                    Avoid Scams!

Don't get scammed. Here are two rules that you should ALWAYS take into account:
1.    If it looks too good to be true, IT IS! Turn and walk away.
2.    NEVER give someone your social security number, a credit card number or any other personal information unless you are absolutely sure of the situation. If someone asks you to pay them for an opportunity where you will (seemingly) eventually be paid back, it's a SCAM.

For your entertainment, I will even provide a story of my own as to give an example of a basic scam.
I was maybe two months into my modeling career when I received a message via my Model Mayhem account with a great offer that directed me to e-mail the company directly via my personal e-mail. It was for a “commercial in my location”! How exciting, right? Wrong. The email I received after contacting the company going by the name Optimax asked for my information such as where I lived, my phone number, etc. while including a quite extensive list of vague details. They gave me two weekends in which to choose from to shoot. I started to notice that something wasn’t right. Instead of confirming a date I sent them a list of questions in which I received no response to. A few weeks later I received a check in the mail for $2,950. This package came first-class, overnight, and with nothing but the check from a Christian school in Georgia with an address on the envelope from Oregon. I am a full-time student and had been informed that I had received a new scholarship; so, I thought that this check was from one of my donors. Roughly an hour after I received the check I received  an e-mail from Optimax instructing me to immediately cash the check, withdraw $1,900, and wire it to the “designer”. The designer just happened to be a 50 year-old construction worker in the mid-west. I called my attorney and was instructed to cut contact with company. I told the company that their check was fraudulent and to cease all contact with me. They have not and continue to harass me.
Let this story be a huge lesson and learn from it! Just as the Model Mayhem scam section says, “if it sounds too good to be true, IT IS!”
This type of scam is one of the many out there. There are even scams out there that are legitimate businesses. For example, I recently encountered a modeling agency located in New York whom of which not only charges anywhere between $1,500 and $2,500 for a TEST SHOOT with no guarantee of signing you but they also charge their talent $40 a month to stay on their agency website. This is NOT how agencies work! Now, I’m not saying that you are expected to put nothing down, being a “talent” and paying for your book or portfolio is an investment but by no means should it cost you anywhere near what this agency is charging nor should you ever pay a fee to stay on their website. A real agency’s/ company’s goal is not to make money from you but to instead make money off of you by booking you with paying clients in which they make a certain percentage off of what their talent makes; the percentage is deemed by your state’s modeling/talent laws.
Another common scam involves clothing companies that require the models and/or photographers to purchase the clothing with no reimbursement after they have been photographed in the clothing or have photographed a model in the clothing. The company then uses the photos, a lot of the time without a release from the photographer. They claim to be able to help you gain “national exposure” but in reality you are only working for free. This is the company’s way of gaining free labor, models, and, pictures. The owner is typically the only person who profits and he typically only profits off of the models and photographers who purchase the clothing. I have also encountered a company like this; thankfully I did not shoot for them! The owner stated that for every person who puts your name in the referral box when purchasing the clothing the model would receive 2% of the profit off that order. Well, not only did the owner not follow through with this he also was using his company to sexually exploit minors and prey on them. This company is currently in a heaping mass of trouble.


These are all things that everyone should avoid! Do your homework and research every company and photographer before you work for them. Ask them for references and make sure that their offer is legitimate. If you are under the age of 18, check you state’s laws on modeling and make sure your parent signs a model release form.
Learn more about general scams at these great sites!

And for the minors and parents of minors check out:

                                                                                                                                                -Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment