Sunday, November 17, 2013

What this girl needs to travel.. Oh the things we cant live without!

By Carly Crossley

I travel this week, and between a crazy holiday-driven work schedule and my kids, that means I need to do my very least favorite thing: plan.  
My packing strategies vary by location and for work vs. pleasure. This trip to glamorous Kansas City, Missouri is forecast to hold a girls only movie night for 'Catching Fire' and a Matt Nathanson concert celebrating my best friend's big three-O. Wild, I know. I will not be bringing the full beauty arsenal that I might at other times, but I'm sure there will be plenty of bathroom selfies and Instagram opportunities thus requiring at the very least, my go-to favorites.
I am not what one would call “a light packer.” The thought of just having a carry-on cripples my mind a little. How, I might ask, is one supposed to dress for four different days, with only one pair of boots? So I pack five. And probably two pairs of flats. That being said, I typically try to pack EVERYTHING I need into my checked bag and only bring a purse on the plane big enough to hold a few extras aside from my everyday items. 
But herein lies the rub: I do not trust planes, with baggage at least, so I keep with me my makeup favorites (and a bathing suit if I'm going towards the sun). As I see it, I can buy a new dress or a pair of shoes that I would wear again when I'm home, but it would cost hundreds of dollars to replace my makeup just to have it (eventually) waiting for me wherever it ends up. I couldn't live without my Urban Decay Naked Pallet, but I don't need TWO of the SAME... get my drift?  I do, however, have to narrow down the mother load to something more manageable.
I start planning what goes in my bag by what I need on the plane itself. My skin hates the air at cruising altitude. I used to travel with a full face of makeup in hopes of meeting a celebrity or some incognito prince charming waiting to engage me in 4 hours of witty banter before sweeping me away for eternity. Then, my face got dry and itchy and oily all at the same time and I thought... meeeh, better not. 
What my skin DOES like is BB cream, or in the case of my most recent Sephora binge, CC cream. A healthy dose all over before the flight, super lip balm, a double coat of mascara (my allergies suck, ya'll, and the air makes me want to rub my eyes out of my face, so anything more is bad news bears.) and a smidgen of bronzer because I don't want my neighbor, obviously a potential suitor, to be cursing the world for sitting him next to the sickly girl. I typically re-BB or CC during the flight if I start getting that tight feeling that makes my pores start leaking oil worse than my first car. And if Charming is busy looking the other way, I may swirl on a touch more bronzer and even add lipstick to match the twinkle of my eyes. 
My other necessities are as follows and in no particular order of importance: Foundation, concealer, blush, lip sticks (I limit to two), one shadow pallet, eye primer, liner, brow pencil and my most basic brushes. I consider this to be my A-team for achieving 90% of my looks and I could definitely survive a stint on the 'Lost' island with these. Thank God my CC has SPF.  
I also carry on any prescription medications, a phone charger, a hand full of bobby pins, a hair tie, a book, and my wallet- stripped of any extras beyond ID, credit/debit cards that will be used, and cash.  I do not need my PetSmart cards, a checkbook, or my kids' insurance information if they are not coming with me. (That stuff is kept in an easy to access spot at home in case my sitters have an emergency.) I consider myself the feminine MacGuyver and can make ANYTHING happen with a ½ dozen bobby pins and some mascara. If you are too young to know who that is, a.)IMBD it... b.) don't tell me, I'll feel old. 
Joining my shoes in my checked luggage are my hair products, skincare thats over ounceage, my other makeup needs fitting the occasion (Miami called for MUCH more glitter), a flat iron and/or my 1” curling iron, and pending location- my dryer, roundbrush, and shears. 
Carrying my makeup on was a life saver earlier this year when I was delayed coming home from a work weekend in Vegas- I was stranded in San Fransisco over night, assigned to the first flight in the morning and heading straight into work upon landing. I can rock fake-sleep in a chair clothes any day, but I used my rubberband and bobby pins for an effortlessly pretty topknot, and did my makeup the last 30 minutes of the flight. As soon as the door opened I was running for my car then on the road like I'd actually planned the day. So whether you are coming or going, next time you fly, keep the goods with you! You can never predict what may happen, or who you may meet. 
Until I find him, I'm gonna keep flying!
Thanks ALL
Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment