Friday, December 6, 2013

Trade for Trade- It's their hard work, give them your best.

By The Vintage Doll 

As a public figure and model, with over 300,000 fans, one thing I get asked to do a lot by small businesses and companies is to allow them to send me their products to review, take photos with and share with all of my followers. 
They send me products I get to keep for trade to post and promote them and what they do on my social feeds. It's basic trade work. They get seen by all of my followers who know and trust that I bring them good quality items and brands they can trust, and I get to build my own collections, wardrobe, or whatever they sell, in keeping the items they send. This is one way that I have been able to build my pin up wardrobe, working with small but amazing clothing lines that deserve to be noticed and get their names out there.
It's my job as the model to be trustworthy and promote these brands to the best of my ability. They work hard and spend a lot of money in making their product. Sending out free items to a model and trusting she will keep her word in promoting and representing them and their business in a positive and productive way can be a scary thing to do. I have heard many stories from companies and brands who say they sent items to models after a deal was discussed for trade work and the model received the free product but did not hold up her end of the deal and never contacted the company again. Doing things like that and being so unprofessional in this field in the industry ruins it for all of the trust worthy hard working models. 
Trade work like this is basic and what you are is a walking talking billboard for these brands. You need to do the best you can in representing them. No, you aren't being paid money wise but you are being paid with free product some of which in my case has been very expensive high quality items. Do a good job! Always give your best because not taking trade jobs serious could really hurt your credibility. These are brands and companies that work hard in what they do. They could some day vouch for you and how you carry yourself when worked with and how professional you are. If you decide to slack and blow it off just because money isn't involved, your wrong. The companies money is involved and that's serious for them so don't take advantage. 
Trade work isn't about getting free stuff, they are paid jobs that a company has hired you for to represent them. The free items are just the payment, serious payment so make sure to take the job seriously. 
Trade work and promoting has become a big part of what I do and the main type of modeling I do. The best part for me is to see a small business I get involved with and help promote succeed and grow after we work together. Hard working people with a dream that I get to be apart of and in a small way help that dream come true. 
There are a lot of different types and avenues of the modeling industry. Some jobs bigger and more serious than others. But all jobs are jobs and everyone is benefiting from it in some way to help their careers move forward in a positive way. Keep it professional and treat each job like it was your dream job. They chose you to represent something important to them, so give them the best you have! 
Xoxo The Vintage Doll

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent, eloquent post. So very true for all types of trade. Too many models see TFP (trade for pictures) with a photographer as a "free" shoot, failing to acknowledge the work that goes in to a successful shoot both before and after the actual session.

    ReplyDelete